Monday 5 February 2024

Know Your YZs

I put a new page on the website a couple of days ago, entitled ‘YZ Buyers Beware’, concerning a worrying trend on ebay. I’ve long been angered by incorrect auction headings and descriptions of YZ pieces on ebay, as well as non-YZ  pieces being indicated as possibly being YZ. (See the post from April, 2013 as well as ‘Is SomebodyTrying To Con You?’ on the website.) But ebay sellers are now further pushing the boundaries by asserting that pieces which are clearly non-YZ – and often pretty poor examples of them – are definitely YZ. That assertion is usually accompanied by a sprinkling of words to (hopefully) bolster that assertion – e.g. ‘Henry Howell’, ‘Dunhill’ and ‘Faturan’. 

There’s a page on the website – ‘Is it? Or isn’t it?’ – which should help inexperienced buyers to identify genuine YZ pieces but I’m always happy to help. Just email me the ebay item number, using the contact form here. 

That said, don’t be deterred from buying non-YZ if you like the piece – some are exceedingly well-crafted, sometimes matching YZ’s workmanship. I have a large non-YZ collection, none of which I bought thinking them to be YZ and all of which I thoroughly enjoy having around.

No comments: